Friday, October 1, 2010

“Miss Fiona’s Stupendous Pumpkin Pies” Written by Mark Kimball Moulton & Illustrated by Karen Hillard Crouch

I’ve had the itch to decorate for fall, so that’s what I’ll be doing this weekend (between the kids’ soccer and volleyball of course).

I went to the bookshelf today to pull out one of my favorites: Miss Fiona’s Stupendous Pumpkin Pies written by Mark Kimball Moulton. This picture book is about Miss Fiona who looks a lot like a witch and lives in a run-down house. However, looks can be deceiving, for she bakes stupendous pumpkin pies which she offers to trick-or-treaters and their families on Halloween. One lucky child gets to help her serve while everyone enjoys pie, cider, and spooky stories. It has a nice rhyming rhythm, so read it aloud or leave it out on the coffee table for older ones to enjoy—I’m pretty sure I’ll catch my tween and teen reading it too! The cute and muted illustrations by Karen Hillard Crouch make the story warm instead of scary.

I hope you’ll share this sweet book with your own little ghouls and goblins.

Use these links to learn more about Mark Kimball Moulton and Karen Hillard Crouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment